Monday, October 22, 2012

Church at Canaan

October 21

Sunday morning we got to teach Sunday school to the 8-11 year old kids here. My group taught the story of Zacchaeus and did a craft with them afterwards. Then we went to the church service. I think I caught a little glimpse of what heaven will be like. Hundreds of people were crammed into a small building with no air conditioning but their worship was not held back by any of those factors. Although I didn't understand most of the songs or prayers, I knew that The Lord was in the room. There were people from the surrounding village and those who are from Canaan Children's home. I've never seen people praise God like I did that day. The kids, as young as 10 years old, were down on their knees with their eyes tightly closed and smiles on their faces singing praises to God. I was moved in a way that I have never been before. Their worship brought me to tears of joy and I could not hold them back. All I could do was close my eyes and thank God for the incredible blessings in my life. I was so thankful to be in that very church, holding the hands of the little girls I have quickly come to love, while worshipping  my Creator alongside the African people. 

Sunday afternoon was a great day of much needed rest. Sunday night we were able to provide a feast for the kids including chicken, rice, cabbage, sodas and more. The kids were beyond excited to eat. We played for a while then tucked them into bed. It is such a privilege to know these little ones. Every time we pull up in the bus they are running to find you, and when they see you they point and shout and jump around until they see you and you get off to hold their hand. Their love makes all the bad things about being here seem so insignificant, and for that I am thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment