Monday, October 22, 2012

Ekisa

October 22

Today was possibly my favorite day here so far. We went to a special needs home called Ekisa today. This home was started by an American girl and a British girl, both named Emily, who met on different mission trips here in Uganda. Their passion for kids with special needs brought them together and they opened this home in 2010. They are in their early 20s and I can tell you that what they have done here is truly and very evidently the work of God. They currently have 22 kids in their home and have been able to employ 35 staff members from Uganda. They have the home staffed 24/7 and it includes nurses, a physical therapist and other caretakers. They also employ people with physical handicaps. This is very neat because in Uganda they would probably not get jobs otherwise. The kids disabilities range from Downs syndrome to hydrocephalus to severe genetic disabilities. This ministry deserves just as much press and attention as Katie Davis has had. They just need to write a book! Check out their website and the kids we were able to meet today at www.ekisa.org.

As today is coming to an end it is hard to believe that we only have three short days of ministry left here. My heart is longing to be in two places at once. I miss the conveniences of America. I miss not wearing bug spray 24/7. I miss my room and bathroom free of rats and malaria. I miss my family and friends. However, I'm going to have a hard time adjusting back to all of that at the same time. I'm going to miss this culture, the people and these kids. Most of all I hope that I don't forget what it feels like to rely on The Lord here and how close I feel to Him every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment